Monday, November 16, 2009

A new set of blogging!!

I have decided that for the rest of the semester, I will be talking about random other types of emerging technologies rather than just concentrating on cell phones alone. However, I may write about cell phones again. I just figured a lot of the information that I could blog about, its really just information that people know already. So today I'm going to be writing about... oh looks like its going to be cellphones!! :)

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=4900


 A love child created between new found partners TeraStar and AT&T are aimed at bringing expanded coverage to remote areas via satellite. The handset will allow users to “seamlessly” switch between satellite and cellular networks without hiccup. While the Genus is being marketed towards more government and utility companies, AT&T and TeraStar claim to have a consumer model en route.

Users of the Genus will be required to pay for a standard minutes and data plan as well as pay additional charges when roaming via satellite. While I don’t see big government entities having issues handling the associated operating costs, if these two friends have any hopes of getting a consumer model to be even remotely popular, minutes/data/satellite roaming plans are going to have to go on a thorough diet. Last time I checked paying to use such services via a satellite link were damn near astronomical. Still, I’d love to try one. Wouldn’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment